This Sunday is the Oscars, where all of Hollywood will gather to celebrate the year’s accomplishments in film. And when it comes to cinema, Tr3s’s research has shown that Hispanics are major movie buffs. Here are a few of Tr3s’s key findings about Hispanics and the big screen:
Hispanics are a large and young-skewing segment of the movie-going audience.
• They account for 1 in every 5 movie tickets sold in the U.S.
• 53% of Hispanic adults who go to the movies are under 35 – much younger than the general movie-going audience (36% under 35)
Hispanics are more likely to see a movie opening weekend or within the first two weeks.
• 65% of Hispanic 18-34 movie-goers prefer to see a movie anytime within the first two weeks – more than Hispanics 35-49 (48%) and non-Hispanics 18-34 (52%)
• 28% of Hispanics 18-34 who go to the movies prefer to go during opening weekend – more than Hispanics 35-49 (22%) and double the rate of non-Hispanics 18-34 (14%)
When it comes to picking a movie to go to, Hispanics tend to take turns – though younger Hispanics feel they have a strong influence over movie selections.
• Hispanics are 77% more likely than non-Hispanics to take turns picking films for their movie-going party
• Going as a family supersedes individual preferences (including language)
• Nearly 8 in 10 Hispanics 18 to 34 feel they have a strong influence over their family’s movie choices
Action/adventure and comedy are the most popular movie genres among Hispanics 18-34 and 35-49, as well as non-Hispanics 18-34.
• 69% of Hispanics 18 to 34 enjoy action/adventure – also the favorite genre among Hispanics 35 to 49 (67%) and non-Hispanic 18-34s (65%)
• Being into comedy is a key Millennial trait – and similar to non-Hispanic 18-34s, Hispanics 18-34 are are big fans of funny movies (63% both groups)
• Comedy is a top genre among Hispanics 35 to 49 (45% are fans) — though to a much lesser degree than younger adults
The next most popular genres among Hispanics 18-34 are horror, suspense/thrillers, animation, and family movies.
• 40% are horror fans – more than non-Hispanic 18-34s and Hispanics 35-49 (both 25-26%)
• 32% of Hispanics 18-34s like suspense/thrillers — more than non-Hispanics 18-34s and Hispanics 35-49s (both 25-26%)
• Hispanics of both age groups like animation films more than non-Hispanic 18-34s (32% Hispanics 18-34, 37% Hispanics 35-49, 21% non-Hispanics 18-34)
• Family movies are also more popular among Hispanics of both age groups (31% Hispanics 18-34, 34% Hispanics 35-49, 24% non-Hispanics 18-34)
Romantic comedy, drama, and fantasy have similar appeal among Hispanics 18-34 and 35-49, as well as non-Hispanics 18-34.
• 31-32% of all three groups are romantic comedy fans
• 22-26% enjoy drama films
• 16-18% like fantasy movies
Source: Nielsen NPower R&F Program Report, Hispanic Sample, 1+ Min Qualifier, 2/26/12, Live; Motion Picture Associate of America (MPAA) 2011 Theatrical Statistics; Simmons, Summer 2012 NHCS Adult Survey 12-month; Nielsen, 2008 Moviegoer Study; and 2011 Tr3s influencer study